Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fair Weather Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Fair Weather Fans

Sep 24, 2017, 8:00 AM

We have a lot of fair weather fans. They are really quick to push the panic button. Tigernet was loaded with them yesterday. The object of the game is to win. We're not going to blow everybody out. Our team looked adversity in the face yesterday and battled through it. I'm so happy that they're not as quick to push the panic button as some fans. It's a 60 minute game people, and sometimes it's not even over then. Our team really needed our support yesterday. I could not believe that I actually heard fans booing our team. This knee jerk reaction has too stop. If you can't be supportive and positive, then just do nothing. Please keep the negative stuff to yourself. We are 34-2 in our last 36 games. The last thing our team deserves is their fans booing them. Fight tigers!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Re: Fair Weather Fans

Sep 24, 2017, 8:11 AM

I think you mistook the fans booing the players, when they were actually showing their discontent for the play calling. I really don't think it's directed at the players so much as the coaches. But hey, it's our right to boo the coaches that have led us to 41 wins in the last 44 games. Right? LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either way they are idiots

Sep 24, 2017, 8:19 AM

booing the coaches and the players is the same thing, if you don't believe it then ask any of the players

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! It is booing the CLEMSON team. To me these

Sep 24, 2017, 4:37 PM

aren't fans just spectators. They fold like a wet rag with no substance and then call out coots if they do the same. Go Tigers!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they've paid to be entertained.***

Sep 25, 2017, 1:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Fair Weather Fans ]

Thank you! That's what I was frustrated with. Got tired of seeing BC stacking the box and us not throwing it up to the talent we have at WR.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It looks bad - no matter the reason!

Sep 24, 2017, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Fair Weather Fans ]

How are the players supposed to know the reason for the booing to start with?

Dabo is all about positive reinforcement and the fans should be too.

Boo the officials' calls, all you want, but after that cheer on the Tigers.

Heck, I don't like booing when the visiting team runs in to start the game!

It takes away from the excitement of Running Down The Hill!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That is what happens when you squeeze people out that have

Sep 24, 2017, 9:06 AM

been coming for 40 years, in lieu of someone willing to pay top dollar to get their party on...IMHO. The corporations that pay big dollars for tickets, may send many people that are CASUAL fans...It only takes a few to get the boos flowing....no pun intended.

Re: That is what happens when you squeeze people out that have

Sep 24, 2017, 7:16 PM

absolutely correct. i've been in the same seats for 12 years and the 2 next to me have never been occupied by the same people twice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed

Sep 24, 2017, 9:08 AM [ in reply to It looks bad - no matter the reason! ]

save it for a team who either isnt putting forth the effort to a standard, or a team which has been bad for multiple yrs without progress

we as fans havent earned the right to boo

Sep 24, 2017, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Fair Weather Fans ]

I didn't like the play calling but I would like to think they were holding back for VT. I was disgruntled but I don't approve of the booing. I'm sure Foster is smart enough to look at all of our film from this year and realize that that was not what our offense had looked like in our previous games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 8:15 AM

I don't like the idea of our team being booed by Clemson fans. It is not something I would personally do. But I do understand the discontent with the play calling.

However, while I was nervous most of the game, I always believed that this team would figure out a way to win in the end.

With these coaches and their success It is stupid to boo

Sep 24, 2017, 4:42 PM

anything. We did WIN by 27 points.

Sep 24, 2017, 8:16 AM

Dunno about negativity...but Bryant was always going to have some games like this.

One thing it's important to note is that BC is right there with Bama as far as being a rugged team at the LOS. They have absolutely zero skill and nobody remotely explosive, and their back seven on D (with a few exceptions) also lacks speed...but man, are they tough up front. It's always been BC's thing and Steve Addazio - a former OL coach - has assuredly continued that trend.

I do not think Clemson came out mentally ready for just how willing - and able - BC was to punch them in the mouth. And our Tiggers duly got punched in the mouth. Often.

Hopefully, lesson learned. Respect your opponent, guys.

Bryant has had some impressive showings but he's also inexperienced and a work in progress, and from a standing start he was working from a much less advanced base than Deshaun Watson was. He's rawer, especially when it comes to the postgrad levels of the game like protections and checks and reads, and he made a bunch of misreads (or no-reads, more precisely) last year and you could see him sort of get in the weeds, mentally and psychologically.

Good news is, he made the throws he had to make to get out of it. And hopefully he'll learn on the fly. But when stuff went South, he didn't drown.

Is he as good as he's going to have to be for the Tigers to make the playoffs again and make another run at the Natty? Nope. But the way he responded offers hope he can get there. And he's not the only pivotal young player we have who hopefully is on the front side of his learning curve.

Sep 24, 2017, 8:17 AM

Sorry, by "last year" I meant "yesterday". Proofread, quoz. Proofread.

Apologies.

Dabo doesn't let the players not respect the other team.

Sep 24, 2017, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair Weather Fans ]

Give BC credit for their effort.

Booing players and coaches at Clemson is NEVER

Sep 25, 2017, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Fair Weather Fans ]

acceptable. But I admit I was ticked off at what I thought was some unimaginative play calling and I thought the OL let Bryant down too often. Perhaps the majority of the team had VT on their minds.

Sep 24, 2017, 8:17 AM

Amen

The younger fans of today would have never survived the 80's

Sep 24, 2017, 8:19 AM

That decade was Clemson's best (until now of course), but we NEVER had an explosive offense. What we did have were great defenses and solid kickers. We played lots and lots of games that were won in the fourth quarter. Football is a game that lasts 60 minutes. It isn't some Xbox 'thrill a minute' where everybody scores 60 points. These millennials kill me. We are winning because the other team can't score. When you have a defense like ours, you don't have to get fancy on offense. You simply wear the other team down and then roll them in the trenches during the fourth quarter. It's actually a beautiful thing to watch.

Sep 24, 2017, 8:20 AM

Thought this was going to be about the students not showing up.

Clelin said it best

Sep 24, 2017, 8:24 AM

"It comes with the territory" I don't condone booing personally, but fans now hold this team to a higher standard. I saw it as they were showing their displeasure with the playcalling, but they also could have been booing the effort of the players. They were no playing with the same gusto as we are used to seeing, but that happens after playing two top 15 teams and then having another on the horizon.

What many of us were doing on

Sep 24, 2017, 8:57 AM

Here is not the definition of a fair weather fan. We were just being concerned and horrorfied fans. But fans none the less. I dont like all that booing. I could see why players would be bummed out by it. Last year people kept booing long after the bad play call etc was over. Just terrible

I was frustrated with play calling as well...

Sep 24, 2017, 9:01 AM

...although I realize that the coaches were keeping it simple because they knew the defense could win the game for us as long as we didn't turn over the ball on the wrong side of the field. Also no point showing more than needed. Save it for the big games.

We have to trust our coaches. I never boo our team, I don't like booing the other team either unless they do something classless (ref Lou Holtz and the coots). Officials are fair game when they blow it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was frustrated with play calling as well...

Sep 24, 2017, 9:57 AM

Agree, booing is something coots do. We should be well above it!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

questioning the coaches is never a bad thing.

Sep 24, 2017, 5:32 PM [ in reply to I was frustrated with play calling as well... ]

They are paid professionals. They are paid handsomely. When they fail to adjust to use our strengths to capitalize against an inferior opponent, it is perfectly understandable and OK to ask simple questions like "why continue to try the WR screen when it has been blown up 10 straight times?"

Agree on the other points, never boo the players or even the other team (with exceptions.)

Amen***

Sep 24, 2017, 9:08 AM

Sep 24, 2017, 9:35 AM

If a fan is going to boo the team, then just stay home and boo your tv. We don't need you in the Valley! And neither does the team or coaches. So keep your noise to yourself. And please keep in mind, we are the defending National Champions. We are going to get everybody'sbest shot. It isn't always going to be pretty. And just ask yourself if you were booing or cheering when Renfro caught the pass from DW. So if you are really a Tiger, you should have more self respect than to boo our student athletes that are giving 110% day in and day out for this program. And if you feel that you must boo, then just stay home!

Boo!!!!!!!

Sep 24, 2017, 3:15 PM

to the coaches for trying a hail mary before half when we had 2 (or was it 3?) timeouts and were in BC territory. We took a sack on the play when we could have managed the clock and got a possible field goal. That was poor coaching and play calling. I've never boo'd but I would have there, or if a player isn't giving a full effort. It doesn't matter what someone did "yesterday", they owe it to me today to give a full effort. Most of the time this is what we get.

LOL, they don't owe me or you anything. They owe coaches

Sep 24, 2017, 4:51 PM

and teammates. BTW how do you determine which players aren't giving effort???

You must have never played sports at any high level

Sep 24, 2017, 9:34 PM

That's blather. I played for my own pride, my coaches, my family, and yes the paying fans too, and expected to give them my best and no less than that. I think many athletes would say the same. Is is very much about the fans as much as anyone else, because they are your support. Without them in the stands, the game isn't worth it.

POTD!!!!***

Sep 24, 2017, 3:50 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 5:30 PM

I don't mind if someone disagrees with me. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you feel the need to down vote me please have the courtesy to tell me you did and why. Thanks

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

I voted you down TLTF (long)

Sep 25, 2017, 12:13 AM

I live in SAV and do not agree with booing Tiger players or coaches, but it's pretty clear when coaches and players take a week off as Offense did in the 1st half this week against a really bad BC Defense who tried hard. The BC Defense is currently No. 108 out of 130 Division 1 schools. I am a 1984 grad from VA who loves the Tigers, and chose Clemson out of all the colleges in the country (at least that I could get into.) I encourage people to express their HONEST opinion on this opinion board and in person. And I don't think much of Group Think, Political Correctness and Bullying. Because if you believe in unadulterated advocacy of anything but the great God above (even Tiger Football), you are not your own man (or woman), and your thoughts and opinions have little worth or meaning. So back to football ... Dabo stated that BC kicked our A$$ in 1st half of ball game Saturday. Do you think Coach Swinney was out of line with his honesty? Do you think Clemson Offense including coaches, line and skill players gave our best effort in 1st half against #108 defense?

Last year was a twice in a lifetime event for me. And hopefully the next few years bring a few more chances at the big prize. I hope to see our O-coaches continue to make adjustments this year to support our young Offense and great Defense. I hope to see our O-coaches play our best talent like ETN who changed the complexion of the game in the 4th Qtr because our Tigers were wearing BC down (yes/maybe) and because ETN has amazing skill sets (definitely) which deserve more than 6 scrimmage touches per game. Only when ETN entered the game did running & passing lanes open up for KB and other Offensive weapons.

Of course KB is not DW and should not be expected to be by fans. And T.E. and O-coaches will still have to show confidence in KB, which they did not show on Saturday, to get the ball to Tiger play-makers and improve the 34.3 QBR he had on Saturday. That rating is owned by T.E., J.S., D.S., O-Line & KB himself. Where is Deon Cain and his 1st team All American skill sets? DC is blocking well but deserves some touches, and if KB cannot get him the ball, that inability will block the Tigers from wins against some quality teams. Our Tiger coaches can recruit with the best of them and this team is loaded with talent - so coach them up and let them loose. Carpe diem man! And this season is young, and there is a lot of time to improve if we bump VaTech and Bud Foster on Saturday. I respect you, your love of the Tigers, and also those who have inputs that you do not agree with ... and whether coaches pay attention to this board or any alum/fan insights or not (expect most don't ... at least hope so). Still this remains an OPINION Board. So it seems you are telling me and the world your advocacy is 100% correct and others' inputs are unacceptable? Is that right? Is that what Clemson taught you in football? In life? So anyway, I feel free to state, debate, opine and not censor fellow Tigers with different insights and opinions. That's all. Take care, Soc Howell, Clemson University, Class of 1984

when you win,you get them.I live where Ga. & Ohio st. fans

Sep 24, 2017, 7:23 PM

are everywhere .after the last few hers of success ,there are double the amour of Clemson signs & I don't like seeing them.loss a couple of games & they disappear .All in are pull for someone else

srry about the spelling***

Sep 24, 2017, 7:23 PM

Sep 24, 2017, 11:07 PM

I don't even like fans booing the officiating. That isn't going to improve their calls, and will just make them go the other way any time a call is borderline. I did however find it quite entertaining last year at the one game where we started cheering every bad call. That to me was much more representative of the Clemson spirit!

Sep 24, 2017, 11:44 PM

It's pretty entertaining though, I will check in during the game and just laugh or smh. But definitely entertaining.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic