Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t blast me but 68 teams make NCAA Tournament every year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Don’t blast me but 68 teams make NCAA Tournament every year.

Mar 24, 2018, 1:24 PM

So why shouldn’t we expect to be a top 68 team every single year. I don’t think my expectations is unrealistic. I love my tigers I expect to be a top 68 team every single year I expect NCAA tournament.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t blast me but 68 teams make NCAA Tournament every year.

Mar 24, 2018, 1:28 PM

If Clemson was in the lowly sec would be automatic but the mighty ACC is much tougher in basketball.

Mar 24, 2018, 1:52 PM

I mean technically it’s like 48 teams that make it because of all the automatic bids, but either way we should be in it more times than not. We will be back next year. Mitchell reed Skara Simms and Thomas will prob start..need Spencer to step up. Oliver has come along, trapp needs to improve and we really need William to be able to play next year more since he will prob be Thomas back up

6’11” 245 freshmen Trey Jemison will probably be Thomas’

Mar 24, 2018, 2:41 PM

backup next year unless we get another transfer similar to Donnal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’ve been blasted!

Mar 24, 2018, 1:58 PM

Mar 24, 2018, 2:04 PM

USC English major?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not realistic. I think making it every two years as an

Mar 24, 2018, 2:37 PM

average is.

A better way to measure it usually is having an over .500 record in the ACC with a couple of losses at most in November and December. This is very tough to do most years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Tourn is all about politics

Mar 24, 2018, 2:48 PM

I have said every year for years, that a 1/4 of the teams who make the tourn should not be in there.
Just because you went 25-3 in the reg season means nothing about the team you are. It has gotten
to the point that the only thing that matters, is that you have a winning record.
Quite a few teams play high school teams all year, and manage to get up for a few games come tourn
time.
I would like to see the tournament cut to 32 teams, and a 2 game elimination. That gives you a
better gage on who the best team is.
Anyways, just my in put

68 out of 354 D1 teams

Mar 24, 2018, 3:16 PM

19%. Which is the lowest % of teams making the postseason of any pro or major college sport.

only 4 make the playoffs in football***

Mar 24, 2018, 7:09 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only 3% of NCAA D-1 football teams make the playoff!!***

Mar 24, 2018, 7:40 PM [ in reply to 68 out of 354 D1 teams ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many at large make it now? It's really not 68 as there

Mar 24, 2018, 3:21 PM

are auto qualifiers from lower tier leagues that take up quite a of few those spots?

The RPI number's nigh 50 or > as an at large, but that's not the whole story.

NCAA Tournament every year should be the expectation.

Mar 24, 2018, 3:23 PM

It is very realistic. The fans who say crap like “we should expect to make the tournament once every few years” are either letting the past influence them you much, or believe that football success somehow requires that we not care more about basketball. Both approaches are stupid. Thankfully, our current administration and coaches don’t think that way. Hopefully most of our fans don’t either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

cant Tell if serious but there are 34 at large bids. So we have to wither

Mar 24, 2018, 3:52 PM

Win the ACC (which no Clemson basketball team would say is a minimum expectation) or we have to be one of the best 34 non-“Conference Champions” out of the remaining 319 teams.

It should be the goal every season but if a Clemson fan is “demanding” we make it every year at a minimum, they’re going to be a disappointed fan.

null

Re: cant Tell if serious but there are 34 at large bids. So we have to wither

Mar 24, 2018, 4:12 PM

School Consecutive appearances Conference
Kansas 29 Big 12
Duke 23 ACC
Michigan State 21 Big Ten
Gonzaga 20 WCC
Cincinnati 8 The American[a]
North Carolina 8 ACC
Wichita State 7 The American
Arizona 6 Pac-12
Villanova 6 Big East

Only schools more than 5

Wisconsin lost the streak this year after 19 years

The tournament is not about taking the top 68 and never has been. Since Clemson has never come close to winning the ACC, then the Tigers have to count on an at large bid, one of 34. Much more difficult when you think that 19 to 22 of the 30 or so games will be against the ACC

Not long ago, it was ludicrous to expect our football program to be top 5.

Mar 24, 2018, 5:46 PM [ in reply to cant Tell if serious but there are 34 at large bids. So we have to wither ]

But our coach and athletic department saw the potential and the vision, and after a lot of investment and hard work (and a little patience), it has happened. Honestly, aside from a National Championship many years ago, our best seasons were a few top 10 finishes. Based on history, we shouldn’t be where we are in football.

Please tell me why we shouldn’t expect to be in the NCAA Tournament in basketball every year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

First of all, the top 68 teams do not make the tournament.

Mar 24, 2018, 4:35 PM

32 teams receive automatic bids and usually close to 3/4 of those teams would not make the tournament otherwise. The top 68 is more like the top ~45. There are 351 D1 programs so you are talking about the top ~13% of teams. The college football equivalent (where there are only 130 teams) would be about the top ~17. How realistic is it for an average football program with almost no tradition to finish in even the top 20 every year?

Making the tournament *every* year is never going to happen. The only teams that do that are the blue bloods like Duke, UNC, Kansas etc. Heck, even UNC had a rough patch in the early 2000s where they missed the tournament several years in a row.

Aspiring the be in the NCAAT *most* years is certainly a nice goal. We have a long ways to go to reach that point, but it's not impossible. That's something we can possibly build towards. We aren't there yet though.

Re: First of all, the top 68 teams do not make the tournament.

Mar 24, 2018, 5:05 PM

Kansas had 2 players(giants) from war-torn N. Africa who may or may not speak English and one guy with a name so long it went from sleeve to sleeve and sounded E. Europe...College BB is screwed up with One and Done and rent-a-players...

Re: First of all, the top 68 teams do not make the tournament.

Mar 24, 2018, 5:52 PM

Udoka Azubuike has lived in the USA for 7 years. He went to high school and lived in Jacksonville High School in Florida.

DeSousa lived in Bradenton Florida for 4 years and has been at Kansas for 2 years meaning he has lived here for 6 years.

This was not a good Kansas compared to the others. The roster was depleted by the pros and then the FBI mess.

I am sure all Kansas speak "good" English

College basketball has no control over the NBA rule that allows players to apply for the draft after one year. That is strictly in the NBA and within their rights even though it sucks royally.
College basketball is a victim of the NBA changing their rules. One and done is not an NCAA rule.

Less than one-twentieth of one percent (0.05%) of all college players left after one year.

There have only been 55 oners over the past 10 years only 5.5 per year.

You've already forgotten Nnoko and Djitte?

Mar 25, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: First of all, the top 68 teams do not make the tournament. ]

they represented Clemson well despite where they were from

I hear you, but it isn't the top 68 teams.

Mar 24, 2018, 5:17 PM

It's how well we do in the ACC.

Only 36 at large bids, so much parity after about top 7-8

Mar 25, 2018, 9:40 PM

top teams. And no matter how good we are , you typically have to finish 500 in best basketball conference. Task is not an every year likelihood. 3-5 would be awesome

Mar 26, 2018, 8:20 AM

SMH at this stupid post. How many of the seeds go to lower level conference winners.

it isnt the top 68 teams in the country.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

64-48

Mar 26, 2018, 8:27 AM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic