Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Brownell survive this season or does he finally
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Does Brownell survive this season or does he finally

Feb 22, 2019, 9:25 AM

Get fired?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes

Feb 22, 2019, 9:25 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Well, you don't have to be so abrupt about it...

Feb 22, 2019, 9:28 AM

But, he asked; you answered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly hope he is. It’s definitely time for someone new.***

Feb 22, 2019, 9:32 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he was coaching any where but Clemson he would be gone

Feb 22, 2019, 9:30 AM

that said, he will be around several more years I think with Judge Keller defending him after every inexplicable loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not that I'm defending Brownell.

Feb 22, 2019, 1:01 PM

I'm advocating for our athletic department to provide more consistent support of our basketball program. I want our coaches to succeed, especially in such a popular revenue-generating sport like basketball. I feel that they deserve as many advantages as possible when they recruit and develop players, and throughout most of Clemson's history, they haven't had many (if any) advantages. Usually, they have disadvantages.

It's overly simplistic to hold the coach 100% accountable for the results, especially when it's obvious Clemson can do better to support the program.

I do think Brownell is an excellent coach with a great knowledge of basketball. He is extremely well respected in the ACC and in the profession. He runs a clean program and represents our school well, and I believe he has done very well with the talent he has. He has to recruit better, which is certainly on him, but I also don't think he has much to sell recruits in comparison to other ACC and southeastern programs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

probably depends on if the lottery winner is a true Clemson

Feb 22, 2019, 9:44 AM

fan and whether he's a pumper or a dumper.......... otherwise, he's around 1 more year but that year looks like it's destined to be a downer regardless of coach- bringing in a good class for next year I think and I actually like some of this year's class...just don't think they've been brought along quick enough and we will be kicked to the bottom of the ACC based on the experience and talent other teams will return

My prediction is they keep him, he is told he needs to do x next year and he doesn't hit that target thus we change coaches at that point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: probably depends on if the lottery winner is a true Clemson

Feb 22, 2019, 9:54 AM

He’s not going anywhere this year. Next year however, I’m not sure we get 12 wins.

If I were a betting man

Feb 22, 2019, 9:57 AM

which I am, then I would bet he will be our coach for the next 2 seasons - at minimum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Cool

Feb 22, 2019, 10:58 AM

Wanna wager?

Sure! If he's our coach the next 2 years then I win the

Feb 22, 2019, 11:59 AM

wager, if he gets fired then we all win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Sure! If he's our coach the next 2 years then I win the

Feb 22, 2019, 12:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

@classof1994...

Feb 22, 2019, 3:25 PM

I know you don't smoke weed..
I know this... But I'm gonna get you high today..

Because it's Friday...... You ain't no job......

And you ain't got s**t to do!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So in reality, no

Feb 22, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Sure! If he's our coach the next 2 years then I win the ]

You do not want to wager.

You’re a betting man, I’m a man’s man.***

Feb 22, 2019, 12:02 PM [ in reply to If I were a betting man ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Which man’s

Feb 22, 2019, 12:31 PM

man are you?

Tigerbalm1®?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Which man’s***

Feb 22, 2019, 3:03 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Brownell survive this season or does he finally

Feb 22, 2019, 10:03 AM

Did he not just sign a new contract after year 1 in the renovated LJC, which included a Sweet 16 appearance, that would have been Elite 8 or Final 4 had Grantham not had a season ending knee injury. The same Grantham who battled back from knee surgery to make an NBA team within a year.

We have had 3 tough break ACC away games. The last two were a product of a League of Extraordinary Whistles. Not sure if the one in Raleigh was, as I had boyfriend duties to attend during that game.

Besides that Reed was hurt and we had a brutal opening to our ACC schedule, right when Reed was just getting back from his injury. Lastly, we lost an early season tournament final. Things are not as bad as what people want other people to think.

Brad is not going anywhere this year. Next year's team would have to be a complete flop for him to be fired after next season. It is next year that is critical for our program to take the next step under Brad. He has to get the young team on track and have a promising class, imo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure you can tag those losses on the refs

Feb 22, 2019, 10:07 AM

more a lack of overall execution on our part.

To the OP's question, unless Brad leaves for another job, he's back next season.

Re: Not sure you can tag those losses on the refs

Feb 22, 2019, 10:19 AM

BB isn’t going anywhere so get over it. He is the Clemson coach and will continue to be so your posts regarding his future are meaningless. Go Tigers

Pretty sure that's what I said unless it's of

Feb 22, 2019, 10:36 AM

his own accord. I will say I think Brad should consider it. Next year will be rough and he'll be on the hot seat from day 1. The following year probably won't be great. That's about as bad a situation a coach who has had only moderate success could face in years 10 and 11

Agree. Given that the team will not be very good next year

Feb 22, 2019, 10:41 AM

and probably the year after we may be slightly better, this postseason would be a good time to make a change. DRad may feel that he would have egg on his face if he fires him after this year, however.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone in the country knows how tough a job

Feb 22, 2019, 10:54 AM

Clemson is, which is why all our ex-coaches except Shyatt going back to Foster have moved to other jobs immediately. And even Shyatt and Tates before Foster wound up back in head coaching jobs. Brad could find a job if he so desired, probably a pretty good one. He has a good reputation in coaching ranks.

But I do feel it's up to Brad. I'm wondering if he would want to endure the call for his head that will surely come these next two years. Heck, it's coming now. Has been really the last 5 years

Re: Not sure you can tag those losses on the refs

Feb 22, 2019, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Not sure you can tag those losses on the refs ]

They took Thomas out in each game. In the U of L game they also hut Skara with an air knee. We were about to go up huge before that, was up 9, then U of L went on that run that we had to scrape back from and it usnt BB fault that Reed or Trapp both missed the winning shot in the paint. What was up with the U of L player walking into Trapp with his hand up, "hey, I'm not fouling," anyway? Also, for the team to be in position to make those winning shots, after what I say, is a testament to BB and his staff, not a knock.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

19 turnovers***

Feb 22, 2019, 1:09 PM

If he doesn't make the tournament with his best team

Feb 22, 2019, 10:24 AM

of 4 fifth-year seniors in year 9, then it SHOULD be time for him to leave, Grasshopper.

Does anybody think next year's team(year 10) will be better than this one? What will another year accomplish other than to reinforce what we already know. The fans don't seem to have any enthusiasm towards the coach or the team. It's hard to understand what DRad is thinking or to believe he has high expectations for the basketball program if he continues to reward this level of mediocrity and pervasive sense of malaise in the program.

My understanding of the new contract is that it dramatically reduced the buyout while increasing his pay and term. It actually increases the likelihood of him getting fired. If he can't make the tournament in year 9 with his best team of experienced players, he isn't ever going to elevate the Clemson basketball program above its current level.

Re: If he doesn't make the tournament with his best team

Feb 22, 2019, 10:37 AM

Next year ??? The bench has shown it can't be competitive. We have 12-13 suits as staff - why ??? Simply can't recruit better players. Maybe no one, including coach, shows any ENERGY that attracts young, skilled players. (like s Dabo does) In this case it's all about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting !!!

Re: If he doesn't make the tournament with his best team

Feb 22, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to If he doesn't make the tournament with his best team ]

"best"?

This team was flawed before the season started with unknown production and a lack of any consistent 3 threat. 15-11 is actually performing above expectations for this team. It could be worse... but really we are a couple of last-second baskets away from be 18-8

As far a mediocrity, let put that into perspective... Clemson did not hire a "basketball" coach until the 1950s. Yeah, we were playing with an assistant football/baseball coach for the first 50 years. Even Banks could only go 1-36 in ACC play. We are at or second from the bottom in BB spending.And the worse thing to any basketball player: the football team's halftime appearance get a better response at a Basketball game.

I want the team to win, improve, and progress, but BB is not the restriction and if anything he is building it even if the ceiling appears to be about .500 and always on the cusp.

Feb 22, 2019, 10:50 AM

It would take a complete collapse (as in no more wins at all) here at the end of the season for Brad's seat to even get warm this year. I would be surprised if he gets fired after next year also unless the team is just a total mess with 10 or less wins, which unfortunately may actually be a possibility. So, 2 or 3 more wins this year and an NIT appearance, as well as being on the bubble for an NIT appearance next year (with a few decent recruits "on the way") will more than likely keep Brownell here until at least the end of the 2021 season. A record like this year in 2021 will keep him here through 2022. So, if I was a betting man I'd say BB is here until at least the end of 2021, more likely 2022! If he can make the NCAA tournament in 2022 or 2023, the cycle begins again.

Feb 22, 2019, 1:45 PM

So, you don't call this a collapse? Supposed to be his best team ever. If this season isn't a collapse then he will be here till he drops dead of old age or we drop dead of sheer boredom. I for one will not invest another dime in BB trips until we hire someone else to turn this around. I know you all say he is a "great basketball mind". Really what has he done other than the Sweet 16 last year? Gone to the dance 1st year with OP players? What has he done? Coached Wright State? Who has he recruited in 9 years that turned out to be a superstar? Maye D Rad and the Trustees will wake up one day-- maybe not. In the meantime---YAWN!!!!

Feb 22, 2019, 1:59 PM

No, I'm not calling it a collapse yet. They are still on the edge of the NCAA bubble. They have to win 4 of the next 5 and probably 2 in the tournament, but it's still possible - but of course not very probable! I also don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that last year's Sweet 16 earned enough goodwill that Brownell won't get fired even if the team only makes the NIT. A collapse would be if they lose 4 of the next 5 and the first round of the tournament and don't even make the NIT. I suspect that would cause some of the decision-makers to look hard at the future.

Yes, but only if we make the NCAA Tournament

Feb 22, 2019, 10:57 AM

Any other questions?

BTW, nice troll job.

Yes. Too much buyout.***

Feb 22, 2019, 2:28 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive