Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade

Mar 25, 2019, 4:39 PM

for our basketball program in 2016. “Coaches were heavily involved in the design of this project." Evidently, the coaching staff got what they wanted. That number is not included in the annual expenses of the basketball program.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/24/Facilities/Clemson-practice-facility.aspx

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/02/28/take-a-tour-of-clemsons-athletics-facilities/#24dbd2603cec

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade

Mar 25, 2019, 4:43 PM

the fans need to step up. the fans are obviously the problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

We've spent more on our basketball program than any ACC team

Mar 25, 2019, 4:53 PM

over the last 3 years. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After seeing that unreal $63 Mil facility inside & outside I’m more upset with low wins!

Mar 25, 2019, 5:05 PM

Geez..what more does basketball need except a coach who can win, win, win the close ones..and of course more talented players.

Like Brad a lot & our fine players BUT..!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 5:05 PM

Let’s face the facts. Clemson is a football school. Not a large amount of basketball fans live within an hours drive. Think about the distance football fans drive to Death Valley.. It’s tough to drive 2 or 3 hours each way to a basketball game especially on week nights.

I love Clemson. I want success in every organization under the Clemson umbrella. I hope the program will change for the better but I don’t see a simple solution.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why you have to put a good product on the floor

Mar 25, 2019, 5:15 PM

to get non grads who live within driving distance to become fans and feel the trip is worthwhile in addition to getting the grads to more consistently make the trek.

We have the facilities. We have the money to spend on the level of Virginia and Virginia Tech. We need a coach to bring it all together!

What comes1st, the chicken or the egg ....

Mar 25, 2019, 5:29 PM

Historical data suggests, a good exciting basketball product will draw fans.

Simply put, a team with a few "dynamic" players that wins 10 to 12 ACC games and 20-24 games overall... and Littlejohn will be sold out and rocking.

Regarding recruiting, Clemson itself nor the facilities Clemson are the issue ... creating excitement and selling the program are lacking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2019, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade ]

TWOPAWS said:

Let’s face the facts. Clemson is a football school. Not a large amount of basketball fans live within an hours drive. Think about the distance football fans drive to Death Valley.. It’s tough to drive 2 or 3 hours each way to a basketball game especially on week nights.

I love Clemson. I want success in every organization under the Clemson umbrella. I hope the program will change for the better but I don’t see a simple solution.

Except there was a basketball game against a top 20 ACC team immediately after the Natty celebration where 50k Clemson fans were sitting 200 yards from LJ yet the game was not a sellout

you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

Mar 25, 2019, 5:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

Mar 25, 2019, 5:29 PM

I believe Brownell is a good coach. He needs a great recruiting year to get us over the hump. We were close this year, but our "HUMP" recruit jilted us for Duke.

Re: you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

Mar 25, 2019, 5:38 PM

If we were lucky we could get us a Petrino and the Tigers would become a front page team again ..... for ALL the wrong reasons.

Mar 25, 2019, 6:53 PM

UVA thinks our 63 million renovation is "cute".

They did one a few years back for 130 million (or 170mil in current dollars). Folks complaining on how much we are spending for the wins normally overlook that out basketball spending is not only less, but far less.

If you want to bother about how a program is really built
https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/years-after-opening-john-paul-jones-arena-has-become-a/article_c8769798-b5b6-11e6-b85d-87ab10bc75d0.html

Not exactly what you call a great

Mar 25, 2019, 6:58 PM

return on investment.

Mar 25, 2019, 7:47 PM

We should have used that cash like the other ACC schools and bought players and their parents.

18 year old kids are stupid so you can hand them a sack full of singles and they think they are rich. 63.5 million would have bought a lot of stupid, yet quality athletic talent.

Yes, the coaches were heavily involved.

Mar 25, 2019, 7:51 PM

They had to be, because the money to fund it wasn't going to be provided unless they raised it themselves.

Brad was promised a new arena, so he spent years meeting with donors and raising the necessary funds. Once enough was raised, and the plans approved, the plans were subsequently changed from a new construction to a renovation. The budget was cut. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

So no, they didn't get what they wanted, but when it comes to coaching basketball at Clemson, you take whatever you can get from the administration.

P.S. $63.5 million isn't that much compared to what other schools are spending. Virginia spent the equivalent of $170 million in today's dollars when they built John Paul Jones arena in 2005. Texas just announced plans to spend $300 million on their new arena.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

FSU spent 10 million upgrading the leon county civic center***

Mar 25, 2019, 10:45 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic