Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we develop a 2 back situation maybe?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Can we develop a 2 back situation maybe?

Sep 19, 2017, 2:00 AM

I know Clemson plays nothing like these stupid Big 12 no defense teams like Baylor and Oklahoma State that put up 60 point games and call them close. BUT! Oklahoma used to use this two back system with Perine and Mixon that we could definitely I think utilize better than they did. Fuller and Choice are clearly better short yardage backs and do great (well better than Feaster) in terms of blocking and Feaster tends to be a faster higher average carry rate back (like Mixon) also fun fact both Mixon and Feaster were recruited as all purpose backs MEANING WE COULD USE FEASTER MORE IN THE PASS GAME! this could open up more spots in our run pass option game and would shred defenses down in fourth quarters pounding yardage with slashers like Feaster and Hammers like Fuller and Choice. Just a speculation I know it's wild and we have a lot of receiver talent we could be cutting out with that but, in big games it could be a huge game changer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we develop a 2 back situation maybe?

Sep 19, 2017, 2:50 AM

I could understand people second guessing the play calls if we were getting smoked by less talented teams. I do not really understand it when the team is hitting on all cylinders. Sounds lake a solution in search of a problem...we're 3-0 and 2 of those were to ranked teams!

Sep 19, 2017, 6:00 AM

Pretty sure the coaches have a handle on the RB situation. We have two VERY good backs and two GOOD backs. Fresh legs at the position will not be a problem this year, and every one of them are hungry for carries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 7:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Can we develop a 2 back situation maybe? ]

And we dominated each team (in different ways)

Sep 19, 2017, 6:19 AM

If it ain"t broke don't fix it.

That's why our QB needs to be a dual threat...***

Sep 19, 2017, 7:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 talented RB's on the field together could be exciting but

Sep 19, 2017, 7:51 AM

I doubt you were looking for this much detail, but here are my thoughts on it.

That scheme simply does not fit our offense. Beyond developing a specific sub package that could utilize two backs (non H-back or FB), I don't think it would do much for our offense.

Our current offensive system, whether it be 2011 Morris or one of the SCElliott iterations, use many of the more standard spread concepts that typically utilized 3 WR's, a TE that can play on the line, line up out wide, and serve as H-Back, and also a single HB that is also able to line up wide and go in motion.

One of the primary purposes of running this offense is that it creates more space and mismatches. For example, looking back to last year, our offense had the ability to be so dynamic not only bc of our talented playmakers, but also bc of Leggett and Gallman's versatility and ability to line up in multiple places.

Switching to a two back system would require removing another skill player, most likely either the TE or slot WR. I certainly wouldn't take Renfrow off the field for anyone on the planet (possibly Jerry Rice in his prime, but still not certain). We currently lack a star TE at this point, but Richard has played well most of the time and could be quite a weapon before the end of the year. Taking him off the field for a 2nd RB will eliminate the ability of our offense to create many of the mismatches that this offense is designed to exploit.

Unless one of our 4 RB's could function as a better WR than Ray Ray, Amari Rodgers, Renfrow, etc., I honestly think it would do more harm than good for our offense unless it was only used for a small handful of plays. However, using it for a few play before switching back to our standard 11 personnel could easily disrupt rhythm, limit HUNH opportunities, and allow the defense to substitute.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am just going with Dabo wants.

Sep 19, 2017, 7:54 AM

I trust him.

I would LOVE to see Clemson develop a small wishbone package

Sep 19, 2017, 7:58 AM

Nothing huge. Just every once in awhile in would be awesome to see Bryant and two backs go into that formation for some short yardage stuff. I know it's not realistic. Presumably the linemen would have to learn a whole different blocking concept. And let's face it: Ford tried it at NC State one year and I seem to recall they fumbled at least once on an exchange. So it maybe doesn't have a great history.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic