Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CTE and youth football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

CTE and youth football

Sep 25, 2017, 12:39 PM

Just curious for those of you with children. Are any of you not allowing your kids to play tackle football due to concerns about concussions and CTE?

I’m 37 and do not have any children of my own. This is a debate that has come up amongst friends and family members with children who are getting to be that age.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not let my kids play football even though they want to

Sep 25, 2017, 12:45 PM

They chose basketball and baseball instead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I do not let my kids play football even though they want to

Sep 25, 2017, 12:50 PM

My parents are physicians and they wouldn’t let me play football growing up. I was a small kid until I grew like 6 inches between 9th and 10th grade. I think they were more worried about me getting paralyzed. As I look back I’m glad they made that decision. I played basketball at a pretty high level and really enjoyed that.

If I ever have kids I’m not going to allow them to play tackle football. Flag football yes. Tackle in the neighborhood with no pads like we played when I was little, sure...

I would wait until jr high***

Sep 25, 2017, 12:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CTE and youth football

Sep 25, 2017, 12:50 PM

I love the game of football fanatically , especially college . But I have 7yr. old grandson who plays in a tackle league .

I do have concerns for the long term effects if he continues to play . I'd like to see him wait some years and try punting or kicking .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I put mine in a bubble and only feed him lettuce***

Sep 25, 2017, 12:53 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: I put mine in a bubble and only feed him lettuce***

Sep 25, 2017, 2:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I put mine in a bubble and only feed him lettuce***

Sep 25, 2017, 9:17 PM [ in reply to I put mine in a bubble and only feed him lettuce*** ]

http://ruhlman.com/2012/02/the-hidden-health-hazards-of-lettuce/

Both my boys played Youth football and I really do not

Sep 25, 2017, 1:07 PM

think the risk is there compared to upper levels. I can only recall one player in all my years that appeared to be concussed. They simply don't hit with the force at below sixth grade to cause significant concussions. And the way HEADS UP football is being taught now, I would suggest that your kids are more in danger of suffering major concussions playing on the playground or riding a skateboard.

As the mass of the players go up, so does the force of impact.

Truthfully I believe the attacks on youth football are more politically driven than anything. Just my .02 cents.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Both my boys played Youth football and I really do not

Sep 25, 2017, 10:22 PM

Agreed.

Sep 25, 2017, 1:09 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

Sep 25, 2017, 1:16 PM

My older boys played rec league football and a couple of years of high school football. They played rec league before the whole CTE issue came to light. One of them is still playing football (he's a junior), but we didn't try to stop him.

We live on a farm, and our boys are operating equipment that they could get hurt from. They're climbing hunting stands they could fall off of and get hurt. They're driving a four wheeler that they could wreck and get hurt. I decided that I can't keep them in a bubble, so we talk about the dangers in football and let them make the decision about playing or not playing.

Sep 25, 2017, 1:32 PM

The chances of a concussion are higher with young children playing soccer. My youngest son had a concussion due to a head on collision playing soccer at age 7 and the doctors told us that it was very common. This same son, 10, can't wait to start tackle football next year, he's currently playing flag football and Lacrosse. He has been playing Lacrosse for five years now, I did a lot of research and discovered that LAX is great training for football. Funny thing is, there was a kid on one of his first LAX teams whose father was a linebacker for Duke under Spurrier, he said that he wouldn't let his boy play tackle football until the sixth grade and that he had discovered that Lacrosse was great training as well.

I was apprehensive about Lacrosse at first because I wasn't familiar with it, but I tell you what, it is awesome and exciting, and also the oldest sport in North America.

Sep 25, 2017, 1:55 PM

My 8yr old wants to play so bad he can't stand it but we are not allowing him to play tackle. He's playing flag for now. If there ends up being some objective peer reviewed studies that determine CTE is primarily a condition that comes from head trauma at a young age we will consider letting him play when he is older.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a 15yo daughter. While it's true that you can get hurt doing anything

Sep 25, 2017, 2:21 PM

certain activities increase the likelihood. Interior linemen bang helmets on every play. Football would have been a no, except for neighborhood ball without pads.

Soccer was a no for my daughter after 10yo, but she went away from it anyway.
She played volleyball and loved it.

She's had 2 concussions: 1 on the playground in middle school. The other came last year skiing in Tahoe. She's a skilled skier, and it was a freak accident. She was basically stopped, but her edge caught the hard pack and sent her down sideways. She had a helmet on, but "punched" herself on the way down and then hit again on the hard pack.

We still ski, but she's more prone to limb injuries than head injuries and we accept the risk.

To each parent, choose your own path, but that'sour experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 25, 2017, 2:41 PM

If he wanted to play I'd let him play, but up until junior high or high school I'd prefer flag football if he was going to do it.

I played in high school for 4 years and even though I wasn't any good, I'm really glad I did it. After playing both ways on OL and DL for a small team (35 players) it's REALLY hard for me to take the CTE thing seriously at that level.

It's another one of those "causes" that has been put out there recently that's given with the condition of "30 years from now, you'll have problems because of this...I can't actually prove it but you'll have to trust me" compounded with a lot of canvasing by media outlets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

It can't be proven b/c it's a postmortem diagnosis

Sep 25, 2017, 9:27 PM

We can strongly suggest a correlation, but not causation at this point. So it remains a clinical diagnosis based on history and physical exam.

A brain scientist that lets his kid play youth football

Sep 25, 2017, 2:45 PM

https://sports.yahoo.com/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: A brain scientist that lets his kid play youth football

Sep 25, 2017, 3:19 PM

What a bunch of wusses on this thread. What happened to letting kids be kids. When a kid goes out now for a simple little bike ride he or she has to have a helmet, gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, water bottle, and cell phone. Lessons begin early in life and continue until the day we die. I think I read that 95% of all who enlist in service are disqualified because they are not physically fit. This is on all of you that would have rather little Johnny be Jane and Jane be Johnny. Shame on you!

Yeah! Who needs car seats?

Sep 25, 2017, 9:31 PM

Let the kid be free and roam the backseat. While you're at it, light up a cigarette and, of course, roll the windows up.

being concerned with brain health

Sep 25, 2017, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: A brain scientist that lets his kid play youth football ]

shouldn't be considered "wussy"

Sep 25, 2017, 8:53 PM

First, to each their own - certainly a personal decision. My son is 9 and has played tackle for the past two seasons. I loved playing as a kid and into high school...however, there are some concerns for sure. I had my own concerns but we decided we would not tell him no if he approached us and wanted to play. He started in flag football and played that for two seasons. He plays baseball and basketball and used to play soccer until he lost interest in that. He just couldn't get enough of football. He's a smaller kid so I definitely understand concerns.

Sep 25, 2017, 9:24 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old son. He will not play football. I played running back in high school. My senior year I almost broke my neck. It was a run play up the gut. I got to the second level and juked a linebacker. However, the other linebacker came in from the opposite side and leveled me. In college it would be targeting. My dad said I laid on the field for a few minutes lifeless. Got strapped into a neck brace and stretcher. Got ambulanced off the field. Thank god I didnt become paralyzed. i told my dad i didn't want to play anymore. He said good cause you ain't even if you wanted too. Football is like this, it ain't if you get hurt it's when you get hurt.

i know when i was a kid the equpment lord how did we live

Sep 25, 2017, 9:20 PM

you could spin your helmet around sideways

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing about football is...

Sep 25, 2017, 9:59 PM

yes it is true that injuries can happen in all sports and any life activity. A baseball pitcher could take a line drive to the head, a basketball player could get an elbow to the eye etc. Freak accidents happen all the time.

But I think what CTE is starting to show us is that it does not require a freak accident or just one big hit to cause harm to the brain when it comes to football. It is the accumulation of head trauma that leads to CTE, over years of bashing heads play after play, the repetitive motion of it. Just like a youth baseball pitcher can damage his rotator cuff with the same throwing motion again and again, how a tennis player can get tendinitis in the elbow from the same strokes again and again, a football player can get brain damage from having their head hit again and again. And since the brain is more important than the elbow or rotator cuff, that is what makes parents wary.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:21 PM

Saw a 12 y/o kid take a wicked come-backer to the mound pitching in spring and put him out with a concussion for rest of season (5 weeks).

Also heard of a few really bad softball head shots from bad fielders...

My point is merely in sports, expect some degree of unexpected...

Seen a kid on club soccer have 3 concussions over 2 seasons...

Agreed on risk of severe paralysis. Though some of the youth football games I've seen are more like slow moving tumble crashes. Not much open field collisions thankfully...

I thank God for every game I see with no injuries to ALL participating little ones ...!!!

Some of My High School Son's Friends Parents

Sep 25, 2017, 10:23 PM

Won't let them play football but give them dope and beer. Good Parenting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic