Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding

Sep 25, 2017, 7:34 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/09/25/steelers-alejandro-villanueva-on-standing-for-anthem-made-my-teammates-looks-bad.html

Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger and the only Pittsburgh Steeler seen standing during the national anthem on Sunday against the Chicago Bears, told reporters he “unintentionally” threw his teammates under the bus.

In a news conference on Monday, Villanueva said it was never part of the plan to be out on the field alone and that he accidentally ran too far, according to CBS Pittsburgh.

He told reporters that he had asked Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger if he could lead the team out of the tunnel with the captains, but the plan was messed up due to confusion at the end of the tunnel, reports said.

“When we came out of the locker room into that tunnel, it was a very small area. There was a flag or something coming off the field so there were a bunch of Bears fans, coming off the field holding that going in front of us, so it kind of held us up,” he said.

While Villanueva kept running, the team stayed back in the tunnel.

“I made my teammates looks bad, and that’s my fault, and my fault only,” Villanueva said. “We as a team tried to figure it out, but obviously butchered it.”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can't ANYBODY follow directions on here?***

Sep 25, 2017, 7:36 PM

Re: can't ANYBODY follow directions on here?***

Sep 25, 2017, 7:42 PM

Yeah, my apologies. This forum seems to have become one big debate on anthem protesters, though, so I thought my post would fit right in.

Very surprising turn of events.

Sep 25, 2017, 7:38 PM

Disappointing for sure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was forced***

Sep 25, 2017, 8:52 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding

Sep 25, 2017, 7:46 PM

Lots of #70 Pittsburgh jerseys being returned to ##### Sporting Goods today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 7:51 PM

LOL the system X'ed out the name of a popular sporting goods store. Good one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 7:50 PM

I'm sure his team mates made him feel like crap for honoring the flag and our country.if you don't have the go nads to stick with your beliefs you should just have stayed in the locker room. I felt really good for his stance but now not so much.

Sep 25, 2017, 7:57 PM

So a former Army Ranger who actually served our country doesn't deserve your respect now? This post is proof that this isn't about respecting the national anthem or our country but rather conservative Republicans wanting people to know their place. Was never anything to do about respect or honoring the dead.

Easy there....

Sep 25, 2017, 8:17 PM

people don't like the truth, unless it supports there narrative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I was hoping for someone to be strong enough

Sep 25, 2017, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding ]

to stand up for their beliefs when it was easier to go along with the group.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess I was hoping for someone to be strong enough

Sep 25, 2017, 8:31 PM

You mean someone like Colin Kaepernick?

Fair enough. Let's just agree to disagree on this one***

Sep 25, 2017, 8:37 PM

Yes, someone like Kaepernick...

Sep 25, 2017, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I was hoping for someone to be strong enough ]

except standing for something other than divisive propaganda.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, someone like Kaepernick...

Sep 25, 2017, 9:38 PM

Or in other words, someone can stand up for something as long as it's something you agree with.

Re: I guess I was hoping for someone to be strong enough

Sep 25, 2017, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I was hoping for someone to be strong enough ]

Dang JD404...the reaction to this post should be epic! Lol ??

Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding ]

He has my respect. You however lost it on your first post. ;)

Sep 25, 2017, 7:53 PM

Well.... He did do three tours of Afghanistan.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was no misunderstanding. No need for a Public Apology. They got to him!

Sep 25, 2017, 8:34 PM

The Media and others!

Hey, Einstein, YOU didn't make them look bad, THEY made

Sep 25, 2017, 9:04 PM

THEMSELVES look bad. And now you just made YOURSELF look bad.

Sep 25, 2017, 9:06 PM

So disappointed that his entrance was a mistake. I agree with Trump, fire those who disrespect our nation. Just like Hollywood, spoiled brats, who are intellectually destitute, intolerant of others. This behavior if allowed to continue will lead to a breakdown in this team sport. Coaches and owners will find this divisiveness an impossible deterrent to discipline and obedience to team rules. Write it down. Coaches know without a doubt, nonconforming team members cause divisiveness and loss of respect. Religion and politics show have no place in team sports. Respect each other's views, politics and religion, but they are not for show. A most serious distraction if allowed will destroy the team. I'm appalled that a "few" coaches and owners support this insanity. The fans by a clear majority are sickened by this behavior. If one is concerned about a social condition, follow the example of Watt (Houston player), go to work and do something constructive.

Sep 25, 2017, 9:41 PM

So what you want is a country in which you are told you have to stand up for the anthem or else you're fired? That sure does sound like the land of the free doesn't it? When the anthem comes on the tv, do you and everyone else in the room stand up for it? Or is it only important to stand up when you're there in person? It's also awesome that you're so for a president calling for private businesses to fire people.

Sep 26, 2017, 12:19 AM

Well, if you understand flag protocol it's actually fairly simple. And I am disappointed in this player if he is back pedaling on what he was taught as far back as recruit training. Maybe I look at it differently than some, but your enlistment may end, your oaths, and core values do not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Alejandro Villanueva apologizes, claims misunderstanding ]

Also, if politics have no business in sports then why even play the anthem prior to games in the first place?

Sep 25, 2017, 10:26 PM

Our anthem has nothing to do with politics.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:27 PM

Then why is it "about politics" if someone kneels during it?

Sep 26, 2017, 8:00 AM

Because they have very explicitly said it is about kneeling against Trump, among other things.

Snowflake Basher........Out

You are golden in my book bro***

Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 PM

Sep 25, 2017, 11:26 PM

What.....I am not buying that explanation.....you do the right thing then apologize for doing it....come on man.....Go Tigers!!!!!!

This is absolutely incredible

Sep 25, 2017, 11:33 PM

The guy is apologizing for standing for the flag...Just think about that for a second.

Sep 25, 2017, 11:40 PM

He accidentally ran out and stood for the anthem.

What does this have to do with Clemson football?***

Sep 26, 2017, 8:01 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic