Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Songs of Clemson Athletics in 2023: A Tribute
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 0
| visibility 301

The Songs of Clemson Athletics in 2023: A Tribute

Dec 31, 2023, 8:37 PM

Wanted to get this posted before New Years. Extremely simple list, should be self-explanatory to anyone who went to baseball, softball, soccer, or volleyball games this year. Of course, football is always kind of its own animal, but I do distinctly remember Pepas being played at least once this year during a game at Death Valley, so it still fits the theme. In any case, I think these 2 songs deserve a proper recognition for their role this year:

Spring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Db0oYKXvw

Fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYS_cUwr-8

But in particular, We Like To Party for the baseball team and Pepas for the men's soccer team were the ones that stood out, and hearing those songs always makes me think of those respective teams and seasons. I think Pepas worked well for the soccer team because it's just such a soccerish sounding song more than anything with its dramatic feel, trumpets, chorus, and Spanish lyrics. It really became a no-brainer, and it being played as the goal celebration song just cemented it even further into the lore of the season. And obviously, the national championship makes it all the more perfect of a defining memory. But as great of a connection as that was, the baseball team's pairing with We Like To Party was just on another level.

I do not think it is possible to overstate the impact that We Like To Party had on Clemson baseball in 2023. Some of you may think I'm being overdramatic, but it's almost uncanny how well the song seemed to coincide with the team's unexpected resurgence. I know that a lot of the old-timers got annoyed by how loud and repetitive the song was, and believe me, I can understand why, but I truly think that the song became an iconic part of the incredible turnaround by the Tigers in the second half of the season, at least in terms of the stadium atmosphere and the fan experience.

I still vividly remember during the Louisville and North Carolina series (both sweeps) when they first started playing it a lot. It's a loud song that people can clap to, so it naturally works well as a fan song. It just seemed like that particular song kept working really well to get the fans hyped up (and rallying the team to win), so it almost naturally ended up turning into a routine. I think it became both a rally song and an intimidation tactic. Despite the fact that both series were sweeps, most of the games were close, and several involved crucial offensive rallies by Clemson in the late innings. Whenever the Tigers got something going, they would play We Like To Party, the fans would be clapping, the balloons would be waving, and there was just so much energy and noise and excitement in Doug Kingsmore Stadium for the first time in years late in a season, which I think really had a positive effect on the team and seemed to fuel the offensive momentum.

It seemed to work especially well whenever the opposing team would send their coach out for a mound visit. This was partially because of the lyrics "I've got something to tell ya, I've got news for you," which served as a way to troll the opposition. But it was more than that. Something about We Like To Party being constantly played between pitches, between at-bats, after hits and walks, and during the almost unending stream of North Carolina and Louisville mound visits generated this undeniable sensation that a Clemson rally was inevitable, that so much momentum was building that it was certain that Clemson would score and there was nothing that any opposing pitcher could do to stop it.

More than anything, the song seemed to coincide almost perfectly with the sudden realization by Clemson fans (and everyone else) that the baseball team which had been left for dead was now somehow incapable of losing. And then everyone sat back and watched in amazement at the unbelievable winning streak which ultimately ended in a conference title. Of course, we all painfully remember what happened next in that cursed regional. But that outcome shouldn't take away from what was truly a magical 2023 season, and We Like To Party will always hold a special place in that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 301
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next