Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Dabo bad for the college football industrial complex?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1591

Is Dabo bad for the college football industrial complex?

May 20, 2024, 10:27 PM

There's so much money to be made out there with financial consortiums now buying into program marketing rights, free agency and NIL commissions, pseudo-NFL type leagues and playoffs and the marketing power with that. Dabo's kind of talk of keeping the mission on the student-athlete's journey into adulthood and staying true to that objective ultimately threatens to curtail some of those revenue streams.

The talk lately is largely of expecting him to fail, and angry about it to begin with. Truth is those voices are largely financed by many who need him to fail.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Dabo bad for the college football industrial complex?

May 20, 2024, 10:38 PM

Dabo is college footballs last stand…sadly I think we have now passed the prime of college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say 4 years ago past, actually.***

May 20, 2024, 10:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd say 4 years ago past, actually.***

May 21, 2024, 2:09 AM

Dabo remains opposite of Deion philosophy and I am good with that! If I recognize players names from the previous year, then at least I feel like we have college football alive. Replacing 90% of the starters each yr via portal just points as poor recruiting and win at all costs which is a detriment to the student athlete sports we all grew to love.

Seriously, how many of the "Grow where you are planted" stories do we expect to hear about anymore? We have a few in football, we had Cagle, Thompson, Clark, etc., then there was Hall, Hunter and Schef, but can we honestly expect long term stories anymore? While my Clemson fandom is strong, the new era of college sports fandom is waning faster than I could have imagined.

Re: I'd say 4 years ago past, actually.***

May 21, 2024, 6:42 AM

Apples and Oranges. CO was dying where they are planted mired in a declining bottom ten in the country program that needed radical change. Doing it the Dabo way and turning around a program like CO quickly wouldn’t work until they get healthier as a program and more competitive in HS recruiting.

2024 free_orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean, I guess you could argue that in some way but he also is getting a salary

May 20, 2024, 11:28 PM

of approx $11m, in top couple of highest salaries in football coaching, so in some respects he IS the college football industrial complex.

LOL

May 21, 2024, 8:54 AM

Re: At This Point ... Its What Happens On The Field ---

May 20, 2024, 11:29 PM

If he wins the whole thing or comes close to doing so with this new structure of the sport...then Dabo will be cemented even more as one of the greatest coaches to ever do it.

Sure he can do it his way but there is going to have to be an adjustment in his thinking... coaching-wise...the coaches he puts on his staff as well as the players he puts on the field.

Against Georgia.....that adjusted mentality will have to show pretty much........ON THE FIELD.

Re: At This Point ... Its What Happens On The Field ---

May 21, 2024, 12:36 AM

Yes, if Dabo wins it all under the current system he will be lauded/appreciated for his dogged determination for doing it the “right” way. No question. But would that convince other coaches/programs to do the same? Nope!

As long as Clemson has Dabo we faithful will still have something that resembles the way college sports ought to be.

Go Dabo!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 12:47 AM

I believe College Football will see a mass exodus of fans over the next few years. The whole reason I liked CFB over NFL is because it had tradition and just felt different compared to the pros. But now if it's to become more like the NFL than I will probably quit watching games unless of course it's Clemson.

I said the same thing about NASCAR

May 21, 2024, 6:13 AM

about 15 years ago, no way the fans would support this new baloney. I guess my support/interest isn't as important as I thought it was. NASCAR lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: I said the same thing about NASCAR

May 21, 2024, 9:49 AM

Have you seen the empty stands since then on Live TV. I went to a few races 15-20yrs ago and they were fun, wild, madhouses. We tailgated just like football games. I watched a little Bristol and a little Darlington race last year and at least 1/3 of the stands were empty. They always show the Grandstands on the starting line as being full but look closer especially opposite side track and they are often very sparse or empty. That never used to be the case. Plus look at which channels you have to have to even find races when they used to be on national broadcasts like Fox and NBC.

May 21, 2024, 6:31 AM

No.

May 21, 2024, 6:54 AM

Isn't it amazing how many posting on the Clemson website hate Dabo and what he is doing at Clemson...they constantly carp about NIL & Portal and what others are doing...wanting Dabo and Clemson to be just like the others...Dabo is taking CCC on a different path...the 'money changers' already own the temple most other places...Don't get me wrong, I love winning but I would rather see 100% graduation in real majors and 8 & 4 record than a room full of natties! Dabo came to make better young men, not a room full of NFL wannabees!

Tell 'em nothing since 1969 coot. No one knows losing better than you.

May 21, 2024, 9:05 AM

He is good for it. Group think is NEVER good.***

May 21, 2024, 8:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"College" football is finished.***

May 21, 2024, 10:14 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 10:25 AM

It's heading that way whether Dabo likes it or not....soon the players will be wearing patches to advertise Quikcrete like the Braves

SHORT ANSWER..... NO DABO IS THE ONLY SANE COACH REMAINING

May 21, 2024, 7:48 PM

NM

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Replies: 18
| visibility 1591
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic