|Position:||Def. Coordinator / Linebackers|
|Born:||December 18, 1970 in Salina, Kansas|
|As a Player:||LB for Garden City CC in 1989-90 and Kansas St 1991-92|
|College:||Graduated from Kansas State in 1993|
• In his 19 years as a full-time assistant coach, his teams have 19 winning seasons, have been to 19 bowl games and have won 10+ games 14 times.
• National defensive coordinator-of-the-year by FootballScoop in 2014.
• One of 40 nominees for the 2014 Broyles Award.
• His 2014 defense led the nation in total defense (260.8), pass efficiency defense (98.3), first downs allowed (185), third-down conversion percentage defense (27.4) and tackles for loss (131), while being in the top five in many other statistical categories. He also coached linebacker Stephone Anthony, who was a Butkus Award semifinalist and First-Team All-ACC selection.
• His 2013 defense, which was 24th in the nation in scoring defense and 25th in total defense, led the nation in tackles for loss (122). He also coached All-ACC linebackers Spencer Shuey and Anthony.
• Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by Rivals.com.
• Named one of the top-50 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by 247Sports.com.
• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2013 by Rivals.com.
• His 2012 defense held opponents to just 34.0 percent on third down, 24th-best in the nation.
• A big reason Clemson was co-champion of the ACC Atlantic Division and won 11 games in 2012.
• Coached 13 years (1999-11) at Oklahoma and three years (1996-98) at Kansas State. He was also a graduate assistant coach at Kansas State for three seasons (1993-95).
• Served as co-defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (1999-03) and defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (2004-11).
• Linebackers under his direction were named Big 12 Defensive Player-of-the-Year five times and Big 12 Defensive Newcomer-of-the-Year five times. He also coached two Butkus Award winners and two other Butkus Award finalists.
• In 2008, his defense was in the top three in nearly every Big 12 defensive category despite facing 11 of the top-50 scoring offenses in the nation.
• Broyles Award finalist in 2006 when Oklahoma led the Big 12 in total defense and scoring defense.
• Oklahoma was first in the nation in total defense, first in passing defense, second in pass efficiency defense, third in scoring defense and fifth in turnover margin in 2003.
• His 2002 defense was in the top 10 in the nation in scoring defense, passing defense and total defense.
• His 2001 defense was fourth in the nation in scoring defense, fourth in total defense, fifth in pass effiency defense and seventh in rushing defense.
• Owns a National Championship ring as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Oklahoma in 2000.
• As a player at Kansas State, he was Honorable Mention All-Big Eight in 1992 with 124 tackles. He was also an All-American at Garden City (Kan.) Community College who recorded 276 career tackles.
*Courtesy Clemson Media Guide
L A T E S T U P D A T E S
Loading the player...
|Recent Forum Posts on Brent Venables||Forum||Posted|